The Certo drug test method is what’s known as a home remedy. That means it only uses easily available everyday items to try and detox you enough to pass a drug test.
The Certo drug test method, also known as the Sure Jell detox, is definitely the most hyped home remedy out there for trying to pass a drug test. Now, the reason for that is that there is some evidence it can help to draw toxins out of the body. But there’s a huge caveat in that.
So what I’m going to do here is talk you through the Certo method in detail. I’ll give you the full Certo drug test instructions, and tell you if there’s any scientific evidence to back up claims. I’ll also tell you about my personal experience using this method, and offer you some alternative ways to pass a drug test.
What Is The Certo Sure Jell Detox?
Certo is a brand of fruit pectin. Sure-Jell is another brand, which is why both of these brand names are used interchangeably to describe exactly the same method of trying to push toxins out of your body to pass a drug test.
The idea is that fruit pectin mixed with a large volume of liquid, and some vitamins, does the following:
- The volume of liquid helps to flush out your bladder and urinary tract of urine that contains drug metabolites, replacing it for a short time with urine that doesn’t.
- The inclusion of vitamins and creatine in the Certo drug test method is to help maintain the balance of the urine that’s been flushed out, and to keep it a natural color.
- This is the crucial bit. The fruit pectin is rich in fiber. When this much fiber hits your body, it creates a lot of bile, and cannabis metabolites are attracted to bile and fat because they are fat-soluble and work their way out of your bowels more than through your urine (around 60% versus 40%). So the fiber hit draws more metabolites out through the bowels, while you’re flushing out your bladder as well.
Does Certo Work For All Drugs?
Now, this is the crucial point. A lot of people will say that the Certo Sure Jell method works for all drugs.
That’s true up to a point. Flushing out the toxins in your bladder for a short space of time will give you a few hours potentially with no drug metabolites in your urine. However, again, there’s a huge caveat to that which I will talk about later.
But the Certo method is primarily designed for cannabis users, because it flushes out the bladder, and attracts cannabis metabolites into the bowels, meaning they are then not going to leak into your urine stream.
Certo Drug Test Instructions
Let’s continue this guide by telling you what the exact Certo drug test instructions you need to follow are.
These instructions sometimes vary, depending on the website you use. But having used this method, and looked at the various ways it’s described online, this is as true to the original method as I can get:
- You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 x packets of fruit pectin (doesn’t have to be Certo or Sure Jell)
- 2 x sugary sports drinks like Lucozade or Gatorade
- 5 grams Creatine monohydrate
- 1 x multivitamin tablet
- 1 Vitamin B tablet
- Once you’ve got all your ingredients together (creatine monohydrate is cheaply available from sporting supplement websites), it’s time to start with the prep work in the lead up to your test.
- Make sure you drink as much water as you can and exercise as much as you can in the days leading up to a test. Also, eat small and frequent meals, cut out all the rubbish, and eat fatty foods as well if you are trying to eliminate cannabis metabolites.
- The evening before your drug test mixes together one of the packs of fruit pectin with one of the bottles of sports drink. I’ve no idea why sports drink is used instead of water, I’m guessing it’s the idea that the sugar content will help your body to process things more quickly. Drink that mixture as quickly as possible, and then drink another 8 fluid ounces of water in the following hour. Make sure you urinate as frequently as possible (and empty your bowels if possible) before you sleep.
- On the day of your drug test, two hours before you are due to leave, repeat step four.
- After you’ve done this, with a little water consume the creatine and vitamins. Then urinate at least three times.
If you follow although steps precisely, then you could be free of toxins for several hours. That’s because you’ve flushed all the toxins out, and kept some of the cannabis toxins away from your urine by drawing them into the bowel. Technically, it could be as long as five or six hours, but with really heavy toxin levels in your body, it could be as little as two hours.
The key point to make here though about the Certo Sure Jell method is that it’s a temporary masking/detoxing process. This does not remove all of the toxins from your body leaving you permanently clean. That’s a mistake a lot of people make, and they do this method a couple of days before the test and think they’re clean, but the toxins in the body are still pushing their way into their urine stream on the day of the test.
The “Short Of Time” Panicking Certo Method
There is an abridged version of the Certo/Sure jell method out there for people who are really short of time. The failure rate on this though is going to be even worse:
- Mix the bottle of sports drinks with one of the packets of fruit pectin. Drink it down two hours before your test.
- Then drink 32 fluid ounces of water in about 15 minutes.
- Urinate as frequently as possible, and also empty your bowels if possible.
- Still consume the multivitamin, vitamin B supplement, and the creatine monohydrate.
As you can see, this is a much shorter version of the same thing that basically just cuts out the night before part of it and any preparatory natural detoxing. But for something that is already dodgy in its potential to pass a drug test, you’re cutting down its efficiency by half, and also the time you got to naturally detox your body as well because you’re not doing a couple of days of detoxing before the day of your test either.
Is There Any Evidence Scientific Evidence The Certo Drug Test Method Works?
The only scientific evidence that the Sure Jell detox method works is that crucial point around fiber creating bile, which draws more cannabis metabolites into the bowel.
It’s scientifically proven that about 60% of cannabis metabolites exit the body through the bowels, while 40% exit through urine. That’s unlike other drugs, where 90% or more of the metabolites exit through urine.
But that’s not the whole story.
For a start, if you have metabolites other than cannabis in your body, then you are screwed.
Also, for all the toxins, you are just temporarily flushing them out of your urine stream with Gatorade and fruit pectin. That’s just going to leave your sample potentially diluted, and despite the multivitamins and creatine, you could still have vital components of urine missing, especially the fact that it will not now be balanced for pH and specific gravity because of the volume of liquid.
Plus, what might work for you, might not work as well for other people. If you’re a light smoker or user, you might get away with this without getting detected. If you’re a chronic weed smoker and you got metabolites coming out of your body at a fast rate, this method just does not have the power to mask them well enough.
My Experience Using The Sure Jell Detox
My experience with the Certo drug test method stretches back five years.
I actually bailed my first pre-employment drug test using this method five years ago. I was younger and stupid, and I saw it on the Internet with loads of people cheerleading it, on Reddit I think, and because I had the ingredients to hand, I just went for it rather than researching or investing any cash.
But having said that, in the years since I also know a couple of people who have passed using the Certo drug test method.
So as I say, there is some evidence that this is one of the few home remedy methods that could truly work. I think it would only ever work if you are a light user, and you’re facing a very basic level of cheap drug test. Because anything more than that, and you are going to get detected for having an unnatural sample.
Plus, if you are a heavy user, it’s just not going to get rid of enough toxins for you to potentially submit your sample, unless you do it very quickly, which could have been the case with the guys who I know who passed.
But it is a lottery. It’s tossing a coin, it’s 50-50 at best. I just don’t think it’s worth that gamble when there are far more proven and safe ways to pass urine sample drug test out there.
Alternative Ways To Pass A Drug Test
My best advice is not to go near home remedies at all, don’t make the early mistakes that I did. None of those home remedies out there you’ll read about, things like cranberry juice, baking soda, pickle juice, or even niacin pills have the capability to flush out drug toxins and maintain the balance in your urine.
Although the Certo drug test method does stand a better chance of working than any other home remedy, it’s not going to work well in comparison to the professional products out there.
Does Certo work for all drugs? No, not at all. It’s a method that specifically tailored towards cannabis use. So unless you’re a cannabis smoker, it’s a little better than just drinking water and taking some vitamins, then crossing your fingers and hoping.
If you want to pass a drug test, and you want to use a detox drink method still, then use a professional-quality detox drink.
This is how a professional detox drink works:
- The liquid flushes out the toxins in your kidneys, bladder, and urinary tract. It does this through a mixture of the volume of liquid, but also through the ingredients that help to draw more toxins out more quickly.
- It contains a lot of things found in human urine, things like creatinine (in the form creatine), vitamins, minerals, and other things found in balanced urine. Because it floods the body with so much of these things, some are passed through as waste, appearing in your urine and keeping the balance natural. This is a far more advanced formula than just chucking a multivitamin and some creatine monohydrate down your throat.
- It also keeps the color of your urine natural. It doesn’t just rely on vitamin B tablets to do this; it contains other natural ingredients that help to keep the color that straw/slightly green color that urine mostly is.
But the thing is with detox drinks, they are still only temporary. Exactly the same as with the Sure Jell detox method, after a handful of hours at most, toxins could be leaking back into your urine again. But they are a far better option than any home remedy method that tries to achieve the same.
If you want to use detox drinks, then Ultra Eliminex, Mega Clean, or Rescue Cleanse are the brands you should be looking at, because these have the best track record, and I can speak from experience of using them. If you want to increase your chances, I highly recommend you to buy some good quality detox pills. If you are new to drug detox pills, check out Theihcc.com for a detailed guide.
But the absolute best way to pass a urine sample drug test is to not submit your own sample at all, basically to avoid that whole quagmire.
Synthetic urine is the best way to pass a drug test. If you get the right brand, you don’t have to worry about submitting it within the correct temperature range, you don’t have to worry about a failing heatpad, and you don’t have to worry about the formula not being complex enough to mimic urine closely enough.
Quick Luck and Sub Solution are the two top brands out there. Both made by Clear Choice, they are highly complex (14+ chemicals found in urine), they look great, and even smell and froth like real urine. On top of that, they both use heat activator powder which is far more reliable than a heatpad allows you to get the temperature right just before you go in and submit your sample.
If you’re on a budget, Quick Fix is the third brand of fake urine that is acceptable, but it’s not as complex as Sub Solution or Quick Luck, and is only really good enough to pass a basic, cheap, pre-employment drug test.